Mysterious Package

As I keeps buying camera stuff on internet recently, sometimes, I have to go to the post office to collect my items when there are no people at home to receive the packages.

On a day last month, I went to the post office to pick up my item. Once I reached the package, I felt so strange because that was so heavy and I remembered that I didn't buy anything which is heavy like that.

I opened the package at home and saw this. What the hell is that?

A bible?


No! It is a vintage folding camera made by Houghton-Butcher Manufacturing Company from 70-80 years ago.

I thought my friends sent me this but it was not after I asked them. I also thought that might be some people posted to a wrong address. I would like to find out the reason but there are no any information of the sender, even no return address. Okay! I kept it then.

In order not to waste this camera, I used it to take two pictures. I didn't have any large size films for this camera so I used photographic paper. After taking the first shot, I was so surprised to see this way was work although the photographic papers were not as sensitive as films to light and the shutter on the camera is a little bit stuck. I scanned the images on the computer and reversed the colour on Photoshop.


The first shot, 2 sec exposure, quite dark

5 sec exposure, brighter but still dark.
It looks pretty good, especially the depth of view. The in focused image is quite sharp too. I can't believe that is from 70-80 years ago.

Only 2 two pictures? Yes, that is it because it is not a digital camera. I spent a long time to take one shot. Loading the photographic paper to the camera, checking images, focusing and developing images were what I had to do for every shot. Especially, I was not familiar with this camera so that was enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment