Canon New F-1 with Kodak UltraMax 400

Canon New F-1 is canon's flagship manual camera produced in 1982. I brought it on ebay in a bargaining price when no one placed any bids on the auction.

Canon's A series cameras, such as A1 and AE1, always have a issue, which is the infamous canon squeak. When the camera have been used for a long time, the lubricant would dry up and the squeak appears during the reflex mirror flip up and down. The squeak would not affect the image quality but that would affect the reaction of the camera. As the selling point of those A series cameras was auto exposure, in the viewfinder, there are no information showing me what aperture or even shutter speed I am using. However, I don't use auto mode at all. Therefore I always have to be off viewfinder to check the aperture and shutter speed. That's why I go for a Canon New F-1.

Compare to my Canon A series cameras, the New F-1 is so much better than them. The 100% viewfinder and bright split focus screen show me images very clearly. The build quality is very solid. After using a roll of film on this camera, I really love it.

The film is a roll of Kodak UltraMax 400. I took those pictures in different situation to see the performance of this film is.

I let Jessops develop and print the images for me. After picking up my photos, I was so disappointed, because the colour temperature of all images were so warm, especially in the image taken at my aunt's apartment in a evening. I knew that the colour of Kodak's films are quite warm so it is good for portrait photography. However, the result I have got is too warm. So I decided to do the scanning by myself to find out the problem. Actually, I would do it anyway.

During the scanning, I could adjust the colour temperature and then the colour of all images became more reasonable. Nevertheless, I love using Fuji films for general photography more that Kodak because I like cooler colours.

If using Fuij films, I am sure the sky will be bluer.

In this photo, you can see it is quite yellow. However, it is the result after adjustment already, so you can imagine how warn the print from Jessops is.


No comments:

Post a Comment