Recreate Exhibition


Finally, the exhibition of the Recreate project was held last week at Link Gallery. That means the whole are finished successfully. We invited those little artists and their parents to visit the exhibition. There were the busiest moment I had ever seed at Link Gallery.

I made a video that was been playing during the exhibition. Everyone was attracted by the video when they came to the exhibition and they really enjoyed watching it. I was glad to see that because I spent a whole night to complete the editing.

Before setting exhibition, we were planned to make a slide show that would be displayed in the exhibition. I was not in charge of this but no one made or were going to make a video for the show. Then I said I would do at the night before the exhibition. Slide show is easy to make because there are just images. However, as long as I was in charge of this, I would make it more interesting. As I had taken quite a lot of short video clips during the project, I combined those clips to a montage as well.

The editing supposed to take less than 3 hours, but I started to do it at 8:00pm and finished it at 6:00am. Why did it take so long time? The first problem is that those clips were taken on three cameras, a Canon PowerShot G9, a Canon EOS 5D Mark II and a Sony Nex 5 and those clips from them were all in different format files. I could use Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 to open the clips from the Canon G9 and the Canon 5D Mark II, but not the Sony one. No problem! I have another video editing software, Sony Vagas Pro 9.0 which must be able to open the Sony files. Yes, it did but it could not open the Canon files. I didn't want to give any footages up so I tried so many different ways to export them to the same format video files. And finally, I could start the the editing.

After finishing the editing, I started to make the slide show. At the moment, I was so tired already. I just wanted to put all images together to complete it. I chose the song, Girlfriend of Avril Lavigne as a background music because in the video, there is a shot of kids playing a video dancing game and the song from the game is Girlfriend. I just made a little relationship between the video and the slide show.

While I was putting images together with the music on, I suddenly heard 'mother Fxxker...' and I was shocked. It was definitely not suitable to be played at the exhibition. Ah! I remembered I had a edited version of this song and started to look for it in my hard drive. But I couldn't find it out because I had deleted it in long time ago. It was 5:00am in the morning already. However, I was still able to get everything done but just little bit in lack of sleep.


In fact, I was hoping to finish this project earlier. Those kids in Hulme Adventure Playground were mental. They made every volunteer nervous. I can tell many volunteers didn't like working at this place. However, while I was watching the footages which I took of the kids, I couldn't stop laughing. They were just so cute. Moreover, the manager of the playground took a picture of me and other 3 volunteers and that picture will be posted on their board because we went to there almost every week. At the moment, I felt everything I have done for this project is worthy.

The school, the playground and the MMU Volunteer office were given a CD of those photos and the video.

No comments:

Post a Comment